Thursday, September 2, 2010

THE SCHOOL OF LIFE



Picture Courtesy: www.slate.com


Hard at work
Trying to plug a leak,
Set afloat in this leaky tub.
Among the reefs
Overlooking the fishes,
On the high seas,
Caressing the pale coloured waters.


My ship takes a drink,
Gently,
Slowly,
I’m at the helm of a sinking ship,
A stricken titanic,
Descending into the depths in slow motion,
On a journey doomed from beginning.
Cant bail,
Can’t seem to get off,
Each time I try,
I hit the deck.
A student of the school of life.
Situation, desperate
Position, untenable
Options, none.


On my knees,
I plead with father time,
Begging and wailing,
Please take your son back in time,
I need to do this all over again,
I think I set out on the wrong ship,
This one takes on water,
Can’t seem to plug the leak,
Try as I do,
Knee deep in salt water,
Seems all I got is a one-way ticket down.


Grey beard,
Staff in hand,
He bellows out from afar,
You never chose your ship,
No one does,
Look to your left,
Then to your right,
Think you’re the only one distressed?
Welcome to life,
Come your time,
The waves will swallow you whole,
You will descend into the depths,
Trailed by tears and grief stricken cries,
You embarked on this journey from birth,
Back then, you were too little to understand.


You cannot hold onto life,
You will lose it eventually,
On that day,
When your ship’s all but sunk,
Count the number of tears that keep you company.
Only great loss gives birth to tears
The greater the number who grieve your passing,
The more immortal you shall become.
Here’s the secret to immortality,
Live a worthwhile life,
Your deeds will make you immortal,
Legendary, an aspiration for others,
That is true immortality,
You can become immortal,
Reach out and embrace your immortality,
Welcome to the school of life.

4 comments:

  1. Until my ship sinks, I'll live this life one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Armah, one day at a time...now that's a plan...morning bro...

    ReplyDelete
  3. JACK YOU ARE A TALENT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you anonymous. hav a great weekend. gud evening....

    ReplyDelete