Tuesday, July 13, 2010

FORAGING IN THE BOWELS OF THE EARTH

FORAGING IN THE BOWELS OF THE EARTH

A famer, that’s what I was,
Then came the mining company.
They wanted our land
Said mining was more lucrative
They were after gold deposits
That lay in the bowels of the land.


They told us tales of revenue in hordes
They preached development
They made use of big words
Like compensation and resettlement.
We all agreed,
The sums they mentioned were a dream to us.
I let go of my farm,
Said goodbye to pepper and cassava,
Farm was all I had,
A gold mine that fed three wives and 12 children.


Barely planned,
I just took my money
Went on a binge.
Began spending,
We lived like kings.
Our lives were colourful,
Forgot all about tomorrow,
Swept it under the rug.
Lived for the moment,
After all, tomorrow’s never promised.


All too soon,
Money run out,
In came hardship and misery,
We really fell on hard times.
Three wives and 12 kids,
Seems like a death sentence now.
Two square meals per day
Was my recurring nightmare
Utility bills, a hangman’s noose.
Three wives and 12 kids,
Far worse than a mid-afternoon migraine.
I lamented,
Sat for hours on end underneath the palm tree,
Began taking solace in it’s seductive brew,
This went on for days.
Then my friend Kofi came to me one morning
Whetting my abject poverty with tales of a gold mine.


Kofi is my name,
I worked in the mines all my life,
I was neither a C.E.O nor C.F.O
Was way down the bottom of the pile
But the mines paid good, took real good care of me.
Planning ahead? Who needs a plan,
I had the perfect plan of line
The mine was my only plan.
I never planned for life out of the mine,
I was a man of the mines,
That was my only home.


I felt feint whenever my feet were above ground,
My home was underneath it.
I was a mole,
I lived in the bowels of the earth
Busy foraging for precious gold.
For years on end,
I lived with pockets lined with gold,
I never fell on hard times,
Have you ever seen a hungry man sitting by a gold mine?
Impossible, that only happens in a bad dream.


Then one morning, a meeting was called
This we were told,
A machine had been procured,
One that could replace a hundred low level
Mine hands,
We were to be laid off in the coming month.
We demonstrated
We pleaded
And we picketted
But the machine was the new today
Mine hands, the most recent extinct breed.
We were handed letters
Sent to seminars on life after the mines
In a bid to prepare us for life outside the mine shafts.


They gave us money
Severance packages
That’s what they called it.
They sent us away with money
And the shirt on our backs
Into a cruel world that rarely smiled.
I lived off my severance
And searched for a job.
Sadly, my skills were only useful in the mines
I was good with explosives,
My specialty was detonations,
Spoke terrible English.
I was only good at digging gold
Had no degree,
No formal education.


Never cultivated the habit of investing
Never really put my severance to good use.
Money run out
And so did my friends.
I seem to run out of friends when
I run out of money.
I guess money does bring multitudes of friends.
Heard of a small-scale mining group nearby,
Met them, we had a chat
Once a miner, always a miner.


Kofi came to me one early morning,
I was seated majestically among empty calabashes
With one in hand that was half full.
All he talked about was mining gold
But I was not a miner,
Never met gold in my life before
A farmer’s was what I was.
He said all I needed was brute strength
And a love of hardwork.
I decided to do it for the money
But all Kofi cared about was going back under the earth,
I guess he was in love with the dirt.


We went to the mine site two days later,
We dove straight into the bowels of the earth.
It was extremely hard work,
No protective gear
Little supervision
And the logs propping the
Roof of the mine looked shaky and weak.
Women and children worked in the mine too
I met a boy, he was barely ten,
Busy doing a marathon with a shovel.
Later heard this line of work was illegal
Our honest work is termed galamsey.


I’d rather live illegally than drown in poverty,
I prefer galamsey to drunken inebriation
Under the old palm tree.
In the coming mines,
I began to feel at home,
A farmer, busy mining gold.
Our mine has collapsed twice
But so far we’ve had no casualties.
Kofi keeps me going,
It seems he runs on something greater
Than a will to survive,
It seems the sight of dirt
And life in the shafts bring him to life.


Whenever on land,
He barely breaks a smile.
All he keeps asking is,
When do we go back down?
I sometimes feel he was not born to live on land,
He’s so much at home when underneath it.
Yesterday the shaft caved in suddenly,
Luckily, no one was hurt,
We were out on break by then.
All we did was clear out the shaft
And burrow deeper,
As if nothing had happened,
Never a dull moment in the shafts.
For three years now, I keep postponing
My exit from the galamsey scene.
Said I’d go back farming after a while
Seem to lose my nerve whenever the time draws near,
Guess I’ve been seduced by the mine shaft.
I now understand Kofi’s love affair with dirt,
Guess I’ve now got dirt in my veins,
Cut me now and I just might bleed dirt.


I harbour fears of being buried alive
But that looks more attractive than my former life.
Family’s doing well now
I’ve got plans for the future too.
Set aside money
Bought acres of land
Built a few houses
Among other things.
One day, the ground might take me away,
Some day, the dirt shall swallow me whole,
Make me a home in the belly of the whale.
I pray come that time,
I would have left behind enough
For my children and their mothers.
I love the mine, totally embraced it now
Not even the law can part me from the mine,
Till death do us part, that is when we shall part,
I forever remain a man of the shafts.

16 comments:

  1. Guess we cant blame the Galamsey operators can we? Once he's able to cater for his wife and kids in the years to come, why worry. Nice piece man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story conveyed with this poem narration... really deep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It pays to be abreast with the current trends in our ever changing world. It pays not only to get an education, but keep improving ourselves, however challenging it can be. It pays to invest in our future, for you never know what tomorrow holds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Between the devil and the deep blue sea..........as3m!! Money matters...lovely piece dear!! Feels gud 2 be home!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave, man has to survive somehow, as long as it is not armed robbery and other things that have a detrimental effect on society, i think society should find a way of accommodating them. besides, small-scale mining has been with us for ages, way before large-scale mining so why vilify them now? i say we give em a hand instead...nice day bro

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam, thanks for coming bro. glad you enjoyed today's piece. do come again. we post at least a piece every weekday and update regularly over the weekends too. see you soon bro, nice day....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ex, gud to see you here bro. thanks for coming. it is high time we streamlined small scale minig in gh and stopd acting like they are some disease that magically apperared on the land overnight. we need to absorb it into the mainstream. small scale mining predates large scale mining after all. best o de day to ya.... hpe you're gud....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Revolution, i feel there's a story behind that name...lol...thanks for coming to our blog. we did this for the small-scale miners in the wilderness plying their trade though illegally according to the laws of our nation. if there are no jobs and these people are trying to make a living the best way they know how, can't we as a nation find a way of accommodating them and aiding them bring their activities in line with laid down rules and regulations? declarinng them galamsey is not the way to do it. long term solutions are the best solutions but sadly enuf, gh hates long term planning with a passion. hmmm.... pls do come again, we post new pieces all weeekday long and update our posts regularly over the weekends too so feel free to pop in any time. nice day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. the ever philosophical Armah. you put it all together so beautifully i have nothing else more to add. thanks for passing this way bro, tis great to have you on each piece. wish ya de best o the day. see you on tomorrow's piece. nice day....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awuradwoa,glad to see here finally. guess you've been able to keep abreast of all you missed while life called you away for a while. we've missed you real baad....as3m oo... hmmmm, noko fioo wey man go chop. na so so plenty wahala. no be easy oo... welcome back home to the mango leaf village ma dear. hope you've come back for good... catch you on tomorrow's piece. take care. dee's missing again, he keeps posting funi status updates and disappearing again. we need you to go drag him in by the ear....lol...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing short of beautiful and contemporary. Makes me want to see it in acrylic on canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Acrylic nd on a canvas eh?lol... Thanks 4 de endorsement bro,rli appreciate it.abt time we tuk a critical look @ small scale mining.it is here to stay whether we lyk it or not.best ting to do is to get em into de mainstream,dat way,we can regulate their activities nd monitor much effectively.a stitch in time really does save nine bro...do drop by again wen time permits you,love to hav ya on de horn again...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. Anything to survive and be a man

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love,survival...hmmm...dat's anoda way to put it...

    ReplyDelete